Saker Nusseibeh (CEO Hermes Investment Management), Narina Mnatsakanian (Kempen Capital Management), Jeremy Leggett (SolarAid), Catherine Howarth (ShareAction), Ben Pimcombe (PRI), Mark Lewis (TCFD), Adam Matthews (Church of England), and Mark van Baal (Follow This) will discuss shareholder engagement and shareholder resolutions in the oil industry.
Central question: How can shareholders support oil majors to commit to the Paris Climate Agreement?
- Saker Nusseibeh (Hermes): Why economist-philosopher Frédéric Bastiat matters more than Adam Smith. The role of asset owners in achieving the goal of the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Narina Mnatsakanian (Kempen Capital Management): History of engagement with the oil majors. The results of engagement. Why Van Lanschot Kempen supported the Follow This shareholder resolution in 2017.
- Jeremy Leggett (SolarAid): Business opportunities in the energy transition. Why the energy transition is unstoppable (Winning the Carbon Wars).
- Catherine Howarth (ShareAction): History of shareholder activism. The green Shell-resolution as final test case for investors.
- Mark van Baal (Follow This): History of the Follow This Shell case. Why Shell (and the oil industry) needs shareholder support.
- Mark Lewis (TCFD): recommended targets for organizations to manage climate-related risks and opportunities.
- Adam Matthews (Church of England): elaborate on the voting decision on the Follow This resolution at the 2017 Shell AGM, how this influenced his engagement practices, and how the two can be combined.
- Ben Pincome (PRI): the consequences of the Principles for Responsible Investment and the Climate Action 100 + Initiative for investors in the oil and gas industry.
Date: Thursday 22 February 2017
Location: PRI Association, 25 Camperdown Street, London E1 8DZ
13:30 Registration, coffee and tea is served
14:00 Intro by Ben Pincombe (PRI Association)
14:10 Saker Nusseibeh (Hermes Investment Management)
14:35 Jeremy Leggett (SolarAid)
15:00 Mark van Baal (Follow This)
15:10 Coffee break
15:30 Catherine Howarth (ShareAction)
15:40 Mark Lewis (Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures)
16:05 Panel discussion with: Adam Matthews (Church of England), Catherine Howarth (ShareAction), Narina Natsakanian (Kempen Capital Management), Mark van Baal (Follow This)
We would like to inform you that there will be interested journalists present, but the symposium will take place under the Chatham House Rule. Our moderator Hugh Wheelan will elaborate on this arrangement at the beginning of the symposium.
We look forward to seeing you on 22 February. Please RSVP to [email protected].