Follow This is committed to fighting the climate crisis by compelling oil and gas companies to put their brains and billions behind renewables. Big Oil can make or break Paris Climate Agreement. Therefore, they must align their business models with the Paris Accord of the United Nations climate panel IPCC. We do so by filing climate resolutions, gathering support of shareholders, and generating media attention on behalf of thousands of green shareholders.
In addition, we serve as a reliable source of information where we are seen as a serious discussion partner for large investors. We are essentially a grassroots citizens’ movement, with now more than 7,500 members, mainly in the Netherlands.
In 2015, our mission was called “a sympathetic initiative”, but Follow This is now an influential shareholder. Shell was the first oil and gas company to formulate a climate ambition thanks to the support for the Follow This climate resolutions. To drive change across the entire oil industry, we have broadened our approach to include Equinor, BP, and Total in 2019 and 2020, and several US oil companies in 2021. Support among shareholders for our resolutions is growing every year, as is media attention, forcing the oil companies to really begin to move now.
To further build our movement and professionalize the organization, we are looking for a Finance and Operations Deputy.
Your key goal will be to take over tasks from our finance and operations manager and develop yourself to take full responsibility for finance, funding, and operations, such as HR, IT and information security, in a growing organization. We need a self-starter with a broad interest for all organizational matters as well as good feeling for spreadsheets and details.
The Finance and Operations Deputy is a crucial role in the organization of Follow This and is instrumental in the functioning of the finance and operational processes.
Follow This is a small core team of around 7 people, therefore each person has a broad range of responsibilities.
You will be central in the finance, funding, administration, IT and operations aspects, and the driving force behind our financial and members’ administration.
Many systems and processes at Follow This are still developing, so the Finance and Operations Deputy needs to be creative and seize the opportunity to play a central role in further building, improving and developing the organization’s systems and processes. The role reports to the Finance and Operations Manager.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Keeping the financial administration and bank administration up to date
- Keeping an overview of potential funders and connecting with them to assess potential
- Preparing funding proposals and various reports for funders
- Being the contact person for the external auditor and supporting the audits
- Preparing internal reports regarding financials and memberships
- Organizing fiscal documents, preparing VAT declarations and acting as contact person for the tax authorities
- Supporting with implementation of new IT systems (financial bookkeeping software f.e.)
- Supporting with the optimization of existing systems (Members administration, payments systems, website, etc.)
- Acting as central IT coordinator (hard- and software), ‘Information Security officer’ and owner of document management systems
- Creating a process handbook with descriptions and flowcharts of all important Follow This processes (i.e. processes on resolutions, funding, financials, HR)
- Acting as backup of the finance and operations manager
Your work will mainly take place at our office in Amsterdam. In consultation, arrangements can be made for working partly at home.
- an understanding of the mission van Follow This and passion for its goals,
- diploma in HEAO or WO in business administration, finance and/or economics
- affinity for IT systems
- strong communicative skills
- ability to work independently and autonomously
- strong English language skills, both orally and in writing, and
- a solution-oriented, ‘can do’ mentality.
- experience working in a financial role in business or non-profit
- experience at an NGO and/or with volunteer work,
- a strong drive to make a contribution to society
- experience with institutional investors and investments, and
- a good command of languages other than English and Dutch, such as French or German
- a very challenging and socially relevant position in a highly motivated team,
- collaboration within a team that has a strong passion for the climate transition,
- a temporary contract (6 months) with the possibility of extension or of conversion to a permanent contract,
- a market-conforming salary, and
- a full-time job with an early starting date
Do you see yourself filling this role? Then send your cover letter and resume to our Finance and Operations Manager [email protected] by the 24th of September.
We want to embrace diversity (gender, age, ethnicity, physical condition), so please contact us if you are convinced you could succeed at the responsibilities above.
We will let you know whether you will be invited for the first round of application interviews. In the second round, candidates will have a conversation with our founder, Mark van Baal. If the corona situation allows, an in-person interview will take place in Amsterdam. For more information about this job opening, please contact Maarten van de Weijer ([email protected] +31 6 818 15 925).