Do you want to grow our base of green shareholders internationally?
Follow This is committed to fighting the climate crisis by compelling oil and gas companies to put their brains and billions behind renewables. Big Oil can make or break Paris Climate Agreement. Therefore, they must align their business models with the Paris Accord of the United Nations climate panel IPCC. We do so by filing climate resolutions, gathering support of shareholders, and generating media attention on behalf of thousands of green shareholders.
In addition, we serve as a reliable source of information where we are seen as a serious discussion partner for large investors. We are essentially a grassroots citizens’ movement, with now more than 7,500 members, mainly in the Netherlands.
In 2015, our mission was called “a sympathetic initiative”, but Follow This is now an influential shareholder. Shell was the first oil and gas company to formulate a climate ambition thanks to the support for the Follow This climate resolutions. To drive change across the entire oil industry, we have broadened our approach to include Equinor, BP, and Total in 2019 and 2020, and several US oil companies in 2021. Support among shareholders for our resolutions is growing every year, as is media attention, forcing the oil companies to really begin to move now.
To further build our movement and increase international pressure, we are looking for a Community and Social Media Manager.
Your key goal will be to grow our movement from 7,500 green shareholders in the Netherlands to a global movement of green shareholders, with social media or other low budget campaigns. We look forward to read about your experience and successes on social media and to hear your ideas how to grow our movement with (social media) campaigns.
The Community and Social Media Manager is the central hub in our association’s network.
You are the driving force behind our further growth with new members and donors globally. You engage with our members, manage volunteers, and maintain and develop content on our website and for social media. As the interface with our members, you manage the membership administration and you are the point of contact for member inquiries regarding their membership, member’s account, and transactions on our website. In addition, you support a variety of activities and projects such as member recruitment campaigns and organizing seminars.
All of this takes place within a small tightly-knit and dynamic team and in close collaboration with the Founder and the Finance and Operations Manager.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- helping Follow this to grow from around 7,000 green shareholders in the Netherlands to around 100,000 green shareholders worldwide,
- developing and managing the content of the Follow This website and keeping it up to date,
- creating content for social media and maintaining the various social media accounts (Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, etc.),
- managing the central Follow This mailbox and responding to email requests,
- organizing events such as the annual seminars for investors and members,
- organizing campaigns such as an annual recruitment campaign for members and donors,
- managing and improving our member administration in MemberPress/Wordpress,
- serving as the interface to Follow This members and their point of contact for questions about their membership, member account, and transactions on our website,
- reporting with respect to member administration, such as numbers of members and donors, and
- serving as the interface to present and prospective Follow This volunteers, information resource for volunteers, and organizing events with and for volunteers.
Your work will mainly take place at our office in Amsterdam. In consultation, arrangements can be made for working partly at home.
- an understanding of the mission van Follow This and passion for its goals,
- HBO or WO diploma,
- affinity for social media and verifiable broad experience with its various forms,
- strong communicative skills,
- ability to work independently and autonomously,
- strong English language skills, both orally and in writing, and
- a solution-oriented, ‘can do’ mentality.
- experience at an NGO and/or with volunteer work,
- professional experience with social media,
- a strong drive to make a contribution to society,
- experience with institutional investors and investments, and
- a good command of languages other than English and Dutch, such as French and/or German.
- a very challenging and socially relevant position in a highly motivated team,
- collaboration within a team that has a strong passion for the climate transition,
- a temporary contract (6 months) with the possibility of extension or of conversion to a permanent contract,
- a market-conforming salary, and
- a full-time job with an early starting date
Do you see yourself filling this role? Then send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by the 24th of September.
We want to embrace diversity (gender, age, ethnicity, physical condition), so please contact us if you are convinced you could succeed at the responsibilities above.
We will let you know whether you will be invited for the first round of application interviews. In the second round, candidates will have a conversation with our founder, Mark van Baal. If the corona situation allows, an in-person interview will take place in Amsterdam.
Roos Wijker ([email protected]) or +31 6 37 01 06 79